There is an obvious and immediate need to provide novel therapeutic solutions to this significant clinical problem; representing a global market forecast as worth $5.7 bn by 2014. As a potent antifungal peptide that rapidly kills Candida in such a way as to minimise, if not negate the chances of drug resistance in target fungal organisms, Novamycin® represents one potential solution. NovaBiotics has developed Novamycin® from the same technology platform as Novexatin® and so combined with the efficacy and safety data obtained for Novamycin® so far, the route to clinic anticipated for this novel peptide antifungal has already been significantly de-risked.
Novamycin® is an antifungal peptide developed by NovaBiotics for the treatment of the bloodstream and deep tissue infections caused by Candida
and other clinically relevant yeasts and moulds. Candida
is the most common cause of these infections and is associated with a failure or inability of the body's immune system to fend off opportunistic fungi.
In an aging population more frequently subjected to treatments which supress the immune system, Candida and other life-threatening opportunistic fungal infections representan increasing burden on global health-care systems. Total costs incurred in treating deep seated fungal infections can run to tens of thousands of pounds per patient. Currently available treatments for bloodstream and deep-tissue fungal infections have survival rates as low as 20% and are associated with a range of serious complications and side-effects. Drug resistance is a very significant issue which impacts markedly on treatment options for already sick patients.
- Candidacidal cationic peptide (approximately 2 kDa)
- Rapid in vitro fungicial activity
- Mode of action identified
- No resistance development observed in vitro
- Active against Candida spp. that are resistant/insensitive to conventional antifungals
- Active against other clinically relevant yeasts and moulds (Cryptococcus, Aspergillus, Fusarium etc).
- Equally effective against metabolically active and inactive yeast isolates
- Novamycin® derived from the same platform technology as the clinical stage antifungal compound Novexatin®